Notos Kitchen Bar
Multi-Ethnic Cuisine from all over the world in Juba
Notos in Greek language, means “South”
More than hundred years ago, Greeks from the Ottoman Empire and other liberated parts of Greece found refuge in the southernmost part of the Turk-Egyptian Sudan’s province called Equatoria. Started in places like Torit, Yei, Mongalla and even as far as Yambio and ‘Nzara, they finally founded the Juba settlement in 1923. After the Mahdiya period and the establishment of the Anglo-Egyptian Sudan, the British started gathering in Juba and finally chose Juba as the capital of Equatoria, since the Greek trading activity was gaining momentum.
The stone building where Notos Lounge Bar & Grill is located, is a prime example of the architecture of the first Greek settlers in Juba. It was used as a shop and warehouse by the first Greek traders, and it was built in the beginning of the century. It is believed that this is the very same building which accommodated on February 17, 1910, the ex-President of the USA, Col. Theodore Roosevelt, his son Kermit Roosevelt and the other members of the Smithsonian African Scientific Expedition.
The Property was bought by the proprietor of NOTOS, George N. Ghines, a native South Sudanese from Juba, in January 2005. He completely rehabilitated and transformed the historical building to a classy lounge bar for relaxation and dining, for the people and visitors of South Sudan, our new nation.